Onward To Your Career
Onward to Opportunity participants begin their learning journey by taking the in-person “Onward to Your Career!” course, which contains six modules that introduce participants to the new concepts, cultures, and organizational structures they may face upon transition into the civilian sector, as well as teaching participants job search and negotiation tactics to prepare them for their next steps. This course is delivered on or near their duty station.
Module 1: Introduction to O2O
This module will introduce you to your O2O journey and the civilian career opportunities waiting for you.
- Know who your O2O peers are
- Understand the mission of the O2O program
- Know what to expect throughout your O2O journey
- Grasp the curriculum and know the pathway options
- Understand civilian career opportunities
- Recognize differences in military and civilian work culture
- O2O Overview
- The Information Technology Pathway
- The Customer Service Pathway
- Differences and Opportunities of Military and Civilian Careers
- Key Cultural Considerations
Module 2: The Private Sector
This module will introduce you to common organziational structures and careers in the private sector.
- Describe the common organizational structures that operate and exist outside the military
- Discuss and understand the cultural shift from the military to a civilian organization
- Recognize partner businesses
- Understand potential careers and career paths
- Private-Sector Organizations
- Types of Organizations
- Industries in the Private Sector
- Popular Companies in the U.S.
- Common Career Paths
Module 3: Presentation and Networking
This module will provide you with the best practices with regards to effective networking.
- Demystify networking
- Understand the principles and myths of networking
- Put networking to use in everyday situations
- Dress for success
- Engage in group exercises
- Introducing Networking and Key Principles
- Networking in Practice
- Image is Everything
- Using the Elevator Pitch
- Building Your Brand Online
Module 4: Understanding a Job Offer and Negotiation Strategies
This module will provide you with the best practices for declining for negotiating or declining a job offer.
- Understand what a job offer entails
- Understand typical benefits and retirement plans
- Have the skills to accept or decline an offer in a professional manner
- Feel comfortable negotiating an offer to get what you want
- Breaking Down the Offer
- What to Look for in the Offer Letter
- Introduction to Negotiation
- Negotiation Tactics
- Making a Decision
Module 5: Employee Rights and Responsibilities
This module will explain the different rights that you are entitled to to ensurere that you are treated fairly.
- Understand the concept of “At-Will Employment”
- Be completely aware of employer and employee rights in the workplace
- Be able to identify employer and employee wrongdoing in various workplace settings
- Hiring/Beginning Employment
- Compensation & Time Off
- Health and Safety
- Discrimination & Harassment
- Leaving/Concluding Employment
Module 6: Preparing for your New Job
This module will provide you with the necessary tools so that you are prepared for starting your new job.
- Understand that beginning employment requires rigorous and systematic planning
- Describe next steps upon accepting a job offer
- Set realistic and adaptable expectations and goals
- Establish a time line of expectations prior to start date
- Identify questions before Day 1
- Analyze performance management outside the military (reviews)
- Next Steps After Accepting the Job Offer
- Starting Your New Job
- Probation and Performance Management
- A Timeline of Expectations
- Key Cultural Expectations
The Onward to Your Career course is followed by either Customer Experience Foundations or Information Technology Foundations, depending on the individual’s selected training track. Each of these courses is also delivered in-person on or near the individual’s duty station, and leads into their respective online training and certification components.